Re Red-crested Pochards

  • Dick Filby
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2008
      Craig, all,

      In answer to your question, Red-crested Pochard is a Eurasian species that
      is commonly kept in captivity - I've seen it advertised in Texas at just
      $65. It is an unlikely vagrant to the USA.

      Nothing is "impossible" but because of the probability of an escape clouding
      the issue, it is highly unlikely to ever get on the list of acceptable
      vagrants to the US.

      Nice birds tho'

      Best regards

      Dick Filby
      Carbondale, Garfield County

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2008
        an interesting note re the pretty bird with the great do....
        In February Larry Arnold and I were scoping the ducks on the Gunnison River by the Hwy 50 bridge N. of Delta, and by golly, he who first found a Mesa County pochard several years ago, found one in mid-Feb. in Delta.
        Same bird? I wish we could find something unique on this bird or band it because it would be interesting to see the movement of this bird, if it is one bird, and the flock it associates with [Green-winged Teal?].
        andrea robinsong

        Dick Filby wrote:

        Craig, all,

        In answer to your question, Red-crested Pochard is a Eurasian species that
        is commonly kept in captivity - I've seen it advertised in Texas at just
        $65. It is an unlikely vagrant to the USA.

        Nothing is "impossible" but because of the probability of an escape clouding
        the issue, it is highly unlikely to ever get on the list of acceptable
        vagrants to the US.

        Nice birds tho'

        Best regards

        Dick Filby
        Carbondale, Garfield County

        > The Red-crested Pochard is still on the 23.5 road gravel pit. I am curious
        > about this bird, is it an extremely rare vagrant or is it an escapee from
        > someones' pond here in the valley? I vaguely remember something about a
        > Pochard in the past.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        !DSPAM:299,47d606af19071355968272!
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2008

          For the record:  the first mention of the pair of Pochards (assuming these are in fact the same birds that I have seen every year) that I am aware of was at the "tally rally" following our CBC in Grand Junction, Dec 2002, and they were found by Ronda's team that included Ronda, Deb, and Kathy.  The male was again present at the gravel pit pond on 23 and 1/4 Rd this morning, hanging out with a flock of 12 Redheads.  Last year on 29 Oct I saw him in molt; right now he is as stunning as he can be!

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2008
            Larry,

            I am assuming that all the records you mention refer to Red-crested Pochard?  .

            Pochard may refer to:

            or:

            Thanks

            Dick

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 12, 2008

              Si.  'tis the only Pochard species that's been reported on the west slope to my knowledge - and the only one I have seen - since I have been here (10 yrs).

              Among the hypothetical species listed on Page 206 of Birds of Western Colorado (2004) are six "feral waterfowl" species that have been reported on the west slope, and to that list we could add Mandarin Duck and Red-crested Pochard, both of which have been seen here in the Grand Valley in recent years.  And there are probably others, eh?