Varied Thrush still Steamboat Springs, Routt Co

  • Dick Filby
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2008
      Hi all,

      Yesterday (Friday) Al Levantin and I went to the Steamboat Springs area.

      VARIED THRUSH:  We phoned the house owners in advance to arrange our visit and were warmly welcomed and enjoyed a couple of brief views of the bird mid morning.  Many PINE and EVENING GROSBEAKS were an additional treat.

      AMERICAN THREE-TOED WOODPECKER: Rabbit Ear's Pass: we snow-shoed Bruce's Trail (from parking area on north side of US40) The overnight snow on the trail was knee deep even using snow shoes, but with perseverance I found a female working trees just below the trail about 3/4 mile from the trailhead.  Only other birds seen in the  two hour hike were three MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES.

      We drove various backroads and visited other spots in Routt Co without any notable success, failing to find Common Redpoll or Sharp-tailed Grouse.  The Yampa river is still mainly frozen over and the entire county (as expected) is still 99% covered in deep snow (including many of the south facing slopes in the river valleys).  Many roads had small flocks of HORNED LARKS feeding along the shoulder.

      En-route, on Hwy131 in Eagle County, there was a flock of around 100 Rosy Finches on roadside wires:  nearly all were GRAY-CROWNED, with at least 3 BROWN-CAPPED. The birds were visiting a feeder on the south side of a remote "small industrial type" building on the east side of the road 0.6 miles south of McCoy at approx mm 19.4

      Later, south of Hayden, along Hwy 13 in Moffat County we saw two ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS.

      Dick Filby
      Carbondale, Garfield Co.