American Avocet, Delta

  • Dick Filby
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi all,

      Tom McConnell and I birded some Delta County sites today.  Unexpected surprise was a very early AMERICAN AVOCET sitting on the ice at Sweitzer Lake State Park.  We also saw the 1st year gull at Confluence Park and concluded that it is probably a Herring Gull (not a Thayer's).

      Selected highlights..

      Confluence Park, Delta (now totally ice free)
          Herring Gull (1st winter) - for 3rd day at least
          Ring-billed Gull 2 adults
          Canvasback 3
          Snow Goose 17 (1 blue morph)
          Ross's Goose 1
          Bewick's Wren 1 (singing)
          Common Merganser 120+

      Sweitzer Lake,Delta (95% frozen still)
          American Avocet
          plus Redheads, Ring-n.Ducks, Northern Pintails...

      Fruitgrowers resr (90% frozen still)
          Barrow's Goldeneye 2
          Great Blue Heron at least 22 at the heronry, some snug on nests..
          Marsh Wren
          Plenty of Green-w.Teal, Northern Pintails, Ring-n.Ducks

      Also seen whilst driving around
          8+Golden Eagles including 1 on the nest
          5 Bald Eagles including 1 on the nest at Aspen Glen, Garfield Co.
          Rock Wren (singing)

      Good birding!

      Dick Filby
      Carbondale, Garfield Co.