Barrows Goldeneyes, Black-crowned Night-heron Confluence Lake

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2008
      After saying goodbye to Dick and Al at Confluence Lake yesterday
      morning, the dog and I made a comprehensive tour [also known as a lovely
      long walk] around the park and beyond.

      We looked at all the many robins hoping to find a Varied Thrush, but no
      luck.
      I did get to see a first-of-season eye-popping Spring-attired Audubon's
      Warbler and hear and see my first-of-season Ruby-crowned Kinglet already
      singing the cheeseburger song.

      Along the Uncompaghre River we experienced mutual momentary heart stop
      with a Black-crowned Night-heron.

      The best birds along the Gunnison were small flocks of Barrows and
      Common Goldeneyes flying up and down the river. These were species
      specific groups, not mixed.
      The largest flock [12 birds] of Barrows were all males...a surprise
      since I have regularly been seeing a flock with one drake and 11 hens.
      hmmmmmmm

      Three hours after I scoped the Lake in the morning, there were changes
      there to the composition of birds....most notable was a new flock of
      Canvasbacks.

      Hope you get out and have some great birding this weekend,

      andrea robinsong
      hotchkiss