Delta Black-throated Sparrow

  • Victor Zerbi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2005
      This morning I dropped off my wife for a half day meeting in Grand
      Junction and head down to bird Escalante Canyon. Best bird on the way
      back. For no good reason, about 11:30 AM, on the ay back to GJ, I
      pulled off at the road side stop and discovered K.50 Road. I drove a
      bit of it looking for Brewer's Sparrow at mid-day (with no
      expectation of success). No Brewers (at least at midday) but I did
      find a beautiful Black-throated Sparrow. It's my understanding that
      Black-throated Sparrow is not an easy bird in Delta County.

      Best birds for me in Escalante Canyon: Blue Grosbeak, Lazuli Bunting,
      Ash-throated Flycatcher, Black-throated Gray Warbler, Juniper
      Titmouse, Bushtits. White-throated Swift, and Canyon Wren.
      Unfortunately the wren was seen only in Montrose County.

      This a a really wonderful canyon to bird ut do it early in the day.

      Vic Zerbi