Sandhill Cranes! Rufous Hummers!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2005
      Greetings,
      Yesterday about a mile southwest of Nucla four
      Sandhill Cranes were feeding in a hay meadow. Two of
      the cranes were adults and two were 2/3 grown. For
      several years we have seen cranes near Nucla. A pair
      usually show up in April and hang out for the summer.
      We still don't know where the nest site is located.

      For those of you that are not familiar with Nucla, it
      is a small ranching community which is surrounded by
      extensive hay meadows on three sides. Many of these
      meadows have good size wetlands associated with them.
      The cranes have lots of nest choices. North of town
      are P/J canyons.

      This morning we had our first Rufous Hummingbird. As
      expected it was an adult male.

      I must have been asleep at the wheel. I certainly did
      not hear about Larry Arnold's Eastern Wood-Pewee. This
      is a species that has never been recorded in western
      Colorado until this year and now it has been reported
      four times in two months. As of 1992 Colorado Birds
      list only three spring and two summer records for the
      state of Colorado. I am sure there has been records
      since then. The most interesting are the summer
      records. One singing male 23 May-1 June 1989 and 21
      May-into July 1991 both at Chatfield Reservoir,
      Jefferson County.

      News from Nucla,
      Coen and Brenda

      Yahoo! Mail Mobile