Brown Thrasher

  • Craig Dodson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2008
      Today at 3 pm Jacob Cooper and I refound a Brown Thrasher at Horse Theif Canyon State Wildlife Area and got great looks from 5 to 10 feet away and we are postive about the ID. Yesterday at about the same time I got several looks at a bird I had never seen before but was pretty certain was a Brown Thrasher. After a night of doubting myself, today we confirmed that and photographed the bird at close range. It can be found in the willows along the Colorado River near Duck Hunting Blind #5. Hike to #5 and backtrack 20 feet into the willows, then turn east, up river and walk on the frozen slough 100 feet. The bird was on the north or river side of the slough in exactly the last spot that I saw it yesterday. I will try to attach a photo. Ciao, Craig
      Sorry but attaching a photo seems to have upset Mesa States email system
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2008
        Is anyone going looking for this bird tomorrow?  if so what time?
        Thanks,

        Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 9:13 PM
        Subject: [wsbn] Brown Thrasher

        Today at 3 pm Jacob Cooper and I refound a Brown Thrasher at Horse Theif Canyon State Wildlife Area and got great looks from 5 to 10 feet away and we are postive about the ID. Yesterday at about the same time I got several looks at a bird I had never seen before but was pretty certain was a Brown Thrasher. After a night of doubting myself, today we confirmed that and photographed the bird at close range. It can be found in the willows along the Colorado River near Duck Hunting Blind #5. Hike to #5 and backtrack 20 feet into the willows, then turn east, up river and walk on the frozen slough 100 feet. The bird was on the north or river side of the slough in exactly the last spot that I saw it yesterday. I will try to attach a photo. Ciao, Craig
        Sorry but attaching a photo seems to have upset Mesa States email system

      • Doug Shoffner
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2008
          The Brown Thrasher is still in the area behind Blind #5. Around 1PM
          (FEB 10) I was alerted to it by its call and had a difficult time
          locating it. When I finally saw it, it was only for about 30 seconds,
          then it flew off. I circled around and came in from the east and ended
          up within 15 feet of it near the top of the slough. I was able to
          watch it for about 20 minutes. Awesome bird guys! I heard a similar
          sounding bird behind Blid #3 and again had a hard time locating it. I
          was hoping to see another Brown Thrasher but I was approached by a
          skunk and was forced to flee. I heard this other bird accross the
          slough from the trail to blind #3. There is a telephone pole next to
          the trail before you get to the field where hunters can begin
          shooting. It is only 20 or 30 feet to the slough from the pole.
          Accross there, somewhere in the willows, there may be another.