Year Birds

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2008

      Captain’s Log, Stardate 001.001.02008

      I decided to skip the New Year’s Eve celebrations last night, headed to bed at 2000 hrs, but found myself permanently awake by 0200 hrs this morning plotting the day’s course, how best to begin a New Year of birding.  By about 0530 hrs I decided to stop planning and go find some owls, got a couple easy species (GHOW, WESO), thence picked up Jacob Cooper and headed upslope for the (unofficial) Mesa CBC.  We enjoyed the day’s outing and found a few respectable birds out there:

      Canvasback 1

      Barrow’s goldeneye 56

      Hooded merganser 2

      Wild turkey – everywhere it seemed!

      Eagles – 10 bald vs. 1 golden

      Northern goshawk 1 adult

      Rough-legged hawk light phase 1 (not easy to find in Mesa County !)

      Merlin 1

      Virginia rail 2

      Dove species – one Mourning dove, c’est une!

      Lewis’s woodpecker 2 (not easy in Mesa County )

      Rosy-finch species (per Jacob’s posting) (not easy in Mesa County , and not coming to feeders)

      Lesser goldfinch 2 (practically nonexistent this winter in Mesa County )

      Evening grosbeak 5 coming to feeders

      Our tally = 58 species in the count circle, plus a few outside the circle.

      Elevation range of our route today = 5000-5500 ft. +/-