Barrow loads of Goldeneyes, Garfield Co

  • Dick Filby
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2007
      Hi all,

      Firstly, wishing you a happy, healthy and bird-filled 2008.

      Al Levantin dragged me out birding for a couple of hours today.  We drove around Carbondale looking for Bohemian Waxwings and found none.  Before Al arrived at the house 120 Pinyon Jays flew over heading north across the valley towards Missouri Heights, ignoring our feeders. Perhaps that was good?

      We headed north out of Carbondale along CR109 and saw an amazing spectacle on Coryell Ponds: a huge flock of Goldeneyes on a tiny patch of open water, all of which appeared to be Barrow's:  There were at least 115 birds, of which at least 40 were adult males.  I cannot absolutely be sure all the female type birds were definitely Barrow's, but many of them certainly were.  This was at about 12:50pm.  As we watched some birds flew off downvalley. We passed by again about 2pm, viewing from the Hwy82 frontage road this time, but now there were only 3 Barrow's and a few Canada Geese. There were however about 20 Barrow's at that time on the Roaring Fork river, immediately adjacent to the ponds.

      Note that the Coryell subdivision has posted several new private signs. The ponds however can be adequately viewed (as we did) with a scope from the 82 frontage rd or CR109.  That also reduces the risk of disturbing the birds to zero!

      As an FYI, Blue Lake El Jebel, the other favoured spot in the valley for Barrow's is currently 99.9% frozen.

      Again, best wishes for 2008

      Dick Filby
      Carbondale, Co