Weekend Birds

  • Jacob C Cooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2007
      Hi all,

      Over the weekend I scouted the Delta CBC circle with Jason and Andrea. We
      found quite a few good birds - 15 snow geese at Confluence Park (one was a
      "Blue Goose") was surprising. Also at Confluence were at least two Cackling
      Geese and a Red Fox toying with the geese on shore. At Escalante SWA, there
      were about 400 Sandhill Cranes, and, near the Rubideau segment, there was a
      Lewis's Woodpecker and a Merlin in the same set of cottonwoods.

      Today, I went up to the monument west entrance where I heard at least one
      rosy-finch, but failed to see any birds.

      Good Birding,

      Jacob
    • Forrest Luke
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20, 2009

        I finally made it out this weekend for a few hours in search of spring migrants.

        A few Friday (4/17) highlights included a Black-necked Stilt on the slough along the Craig golf course road. Other Craig area shorebirds included Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, LB Dowitcher, avocet and Wilson’s Phalarope. I also saw the first Mourning Dove of the spring.

        Saturday morning I went up to Elkhead Reservoir (not sure how I missed Tom) and must have examined a few more nooks and crannies than Tom as I came up with nine Common Loons (nothing like the numbers seen at Highline Reservoir, but a lot for this area). Also five RB Mergansers and two breeding-plumaged Horned Grebes (only my second sighting ever for Moffat County). Other new arrivals on Saturday in the Craig area were five WF Ibis, at least two Greater Scaup on the CMS Pond, AW Pelicans, Western Grebe, Marsh Wren and a horde of swallows (tree, cliff and barn for sure).

        A friend reported terns earlier in the week but said he didn’t get a positive id. Probably Forster’s.

        Good Birding,

        Forrest Luke

        Craig