Sandhill Cranes

  • Missy Siders
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 1, 2007
      Cranes are moving through southeast Montrose today.  We've had at least two groups of about 40 sandhill cranes go over the house heading south.  Our son said that a big group flew over Cottonwood Elementary yesterday also.

      -- Missy
      ^v^  ^V^   ^v^    ^v^  ^V^   ^v^ ^v^
                  Missy Siders
            missy.siders@...
      ^V^   ^v^    ^v^  ^V^   ^v^  ^v^  ^V^
    • Jacob C Cooper
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 22, 2008
        Hi all,

        A flock of 48 Sandhill Cranes just flew over my house (presumably headed
        towards a roost) to the northwest over connected lakes. Does anyone know if
        there is a regular roosting site in Mesa County in the winter?

        Good birding,

        Jacob
      • Virginia Simmons
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 12, 2008

          Many Sandhill Cranes were late last fall in migrating south through the San Luis Valley, possibly because of the warm weather. Now I have not seen or heard of any migrating cranes northward, although the first spring heralds have been appearing in recent years in the first few days of February. They must have heard about all the snow and frigid temperatures in the Valley! By the way, the Monte Vista Crane Festival is scheduled for March 7-9. Schedule of events and registration form are available  at Monte Vista Crane Festival, P.O Box 585, Monte Vista, CO 81144

          Virginia Simmons, Del Norte

        • Forrest Luke
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 6, 2008

            Hey All,

            I had my office window open, while being essentially glued to my desk, and hear this cacophony of Sandhill Crane calls. It took me a while to find them as they were very high, but there were several lines making up at least 500 birds flying over the Williams Fork Mountains. Kind of a nice pick me up on an otherwise average work day.

            Forrest Luke

            Craig

          • Jacob C Cooper
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 29, 2008
              Hi all,

              A flock of about 80 Sandhill Cranes just flew over my house near Connected
              Lakes. It looks as though they are heading for Escalante near Delta. This is
              the biggest flock I've had here this fall, but I have had thousands fly over
              here before. Does anyone know where these birds are coming from?

              Take care,

              Jacob
            • Bob Bradley
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2009
                Today, about 3:45 pm, about 100-110 birds were heard and seen in V-formation heading south. Then, over Grand Junction, they began to break up and form smaller flocks circling to find a spot for resting.

                Bob Bradley
                Grand Junction
              • Bob Bradley
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 10, 2009
                  There was one flock of 130-140 heading East about 4:30 p.m.

                  Bob
                • Andrea Robinsong
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                    I wish one of you intrepid GJ birders would go on the big hunt to find where these birds roost.
                    Could or would the delta flock fly that far to forage?
                    Since those that you saw were heading East at the time when they would be returning to roosting grounds, I would say Go East. :-)

                    good birding
                    andrea robinsong

                    Bob Bradley wrote:

                    There was one flock of 130-140 heading East about 4:30 p.m.

                    Bob
                  • Evelyn Horn
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 30, 2009
                      Larry and Andrea,
                      Thanks for the 900 Sandhills. Nice, round number!!!
                      Evey
                    • Bob Bradley
                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 12, 2010
                        There was a flock of 60-70 over north central Grand Junction today just before noon. They were circling for several minutes.

                        Bob Bradley
                      • Victor Zerbi
                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 27, 2011
                          A 8:15 this morning there were about 50 Sandhill Cranes in the field adjacent to the small farm pond in Grass Valley just north of Harvey Gap Res. where the Harvey Gap Road ends in the T intersection with the back road between Rifle Gap Res and New Castle.

                          Vic Zerbi
                        • VIRGINIA SIMMONS Owner
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 13, 2011
                            My first sighting of Sandhill Cranes in the San Luis Valley this season occurred today (approx 10:15 a.m., Sept. 13) over Colo. Hwy. 17 between Alamosa and Mosca, in the area of Stanley Road. I was driving so couldn't count, but there appeared to be about 20 birds.
                            Virginia Simmons
                          • suehirshman
                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 6, 2011
                              Just got some pictures and a phone call from Art(Lake Lenore) and he
                              told me that he was up at Crystal Lake(close to Red Mt.) and on the
                              lake were 4 Sandhill Cranes standing on the lake. Lake is frozen.
                              In his last picture the birds are facing south. This was mid-afternoon when he saw them. I thought this was worth posting.
                              Sue of Lake Lenore/Ouray
                            • Bob Bradley
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 3, 2011
                                Also in the Redlands,  as noted by Larry, were a group flying overhead but heard only because of clouds, heard from 5-10 min. about 1:15 p.m.

                                Bob Bradley
                                GJ
                              • Bob Bradley
                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 9, 2012
                                  They are moving. Today between 11a.m. to noon there were three groups in Grand Junction, one each of 50 and 75 heading north  and another of about 100 milling around overhead.

                                  Bob Bradley
                                • Alice
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 26 11:26 AM
                                    I saw and heard a flock of 18 over the Connected Lakes at 11:30am today. After some milling about they flew North.
                                    Alice Newberry
                                    Mesa County

                                    Sent from my iPhone
                                  • inthecompanyofnature
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 15, 2013
                                      Approx 200 sandhill cranes flying southeast, currently located near Grand Junction airport at 2:45.
                                      Wende
                                      Grand Jct.
                                    • Sue Hirshman
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 5, 2013
                                        Sue Hirshman

                                        I had about 150 plus Sandhill Cranes fly over at 11:45a.m. at Lake Lenore.  Nice to see and hear them.
                                        Also on the lake I have 7 Gadwalls, 2 Canada Geese, Mallards and 1 pied-billed Grebe.  Yesterday
                                        there was a Spotted Towhee hanging around in the bushes.
                                        We received about 6 inches of that white stuff over night.
                                        Sue H.
                                        P.S. Hope this is not a repeat as I thought I sent this earlier.
                                      • Bob Bradley
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 22
                                          I heard them over Grand Junction today 11:15-11:30, but ws unable to see them. They must be working their way north.

                                          Bob Bradley
                                        • leon stigen
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 23
                                            I road the river loop on my bicycle today. While fixing a flat, I heard some sandhill cranes in flight. So, after reading Bob Bradley's post yesterday, I think either the Delta wintering cranes are moving around up here, or we are getting the first of some early migrant cranes up from N. Mexico or elsewhere.
                                               Lee Stigen
                                               Grand Junction