late Sandhill Crane migration?

  • Jason Beason
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2007
      Glenn Giroir called this morning to say that he had just seen several flocks of Sandhill Cranes moving south above the Gunnison River as he was driving between Delta and Grand Junction. These must be late migrants? He said that he had seen approximately 500 cranes. Anyone else seeing large flocks of cranes today?

      Jason Beason
      Paonia - Delta Co.
    • nic korte
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2007
        I just saw about 100 cranes fly over my yard in central Grd Jct --4PM Monday.
        Nic Korte

        To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com
        From: jasonbeason@...
        Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:58:26 -0600
        Subject: [wsbn] late Sandhill Crane migration?

        Glenn Giroir called this morning to say that he had just seen several flocks of Sandhill Cranes moving south above the Gunnison River as he was driving between Delta and Grand Junction. These must be late migrants? He said that he had seen approximately 500 cranes. Anyone else seeing large flocks of cranes today?

        Jason Beason
        Paonia - Delta Co.

        Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Connect now!
      • Rich Levad
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 27, 2007

          I don't think that the cranes moving through western Colorado now are "late."  Crane migration here regularly lasts through November, and the GJ Christmas count has recorded migrant flocks in four of the past nine years--a total of 1406 cranes, 730 last year.  Interestingly, on the 50 GJ CBCS prior to 1999, a total of 7 cranes had been counted, the first in 1990.

          Rich Levad

          Glenn Giroir called this morning to say that he had just seen several flocks of Sandhill Cranes moving south above the Gunnison River as he was driving between Delta and Grand Junction. These must be late migrants? He said that he had seen approximately 500 cranes. Anyone else seeing large flocks of cranes today?

          Jason Beason
          Paonia - Delta Co.

        • k h
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 27, 2007
            Re: [wsbn] late Sandhill Crane migration? Global Warming me thinks.  Kendall