Rio Blanco County waterfowl counts

  • Adams Lodge
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2007

      Only two female Barrow's Goldeneyes at Lake Avery today, Sunday the 18th, along with the scoter. Not a lot of waterfowl present, just a few of the expected species.

      Yesterday at Rio Blanco Lake I saw two Common Loons, two Bonaparte's Gulls, many coots and a few other usual species.

      Yesterday at Kenney Reservoir very little in the way of waterfowl but I did see six Black Rosy Finches.

      The high mountain lakes are still mostly open water so the Barrow's Goldeneyes that we usually see on Lake Avery must still be on Marvines and Trapper's.  On Friday Ron rode to Marvine Lakes. Both Lakes were more than 80% open water with an estimated 450 ducks, all unidentifiable as they were too far away in choppy water. Trapper's Lake is also mostly open water, did not see any ducks from where we were looking but they were surely there somewhere.

      Dona Hilkey
      Meeker, Colorado