Scoter on Lake Avery

  • Adams Lodge
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2007
      This morning while doing the waterfowl count on Lake Avery, Kate and I spotted a scoter.  I apologize for the poor quality of the attached photos, it was far away and moving.

      Dona Hilkey
      Meeker, Colorado

    • Brandon Percival
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2007
        For sure a Surf Scoter.

        Brandon Percival
        Pueblo West, CO

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 18, 2007
          I looked at Dona's photos of the scoter and quickly (without looking at a book) thought that bird is a Surf Scoter, because of the bill and head shape.  Maybe I'm messed up as usual, since a couple of people e-mailed saying it looks like a White-winged Scoter instead.  I guess the bird didn't flap its wings, if it had, that would have helped.
          Sorry for bothering everyone.  I haven't seen a scoter in like nine days, I must be confused.

          Brandon Percival
          Pueblo West, CO

        • Andrew Spencer
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 18, 2007
            I don't see how this can be anything but a Surf Scoter. Square base to
            the bill, contrasting dark cap, body shape not as elongated, pale face,
            paler overall color, straight rather than concave culmen, etc. I would
            have to agree with Brandon's first email.

            Andrew Spencer
            Centennial, CO

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 18, 2007
              Actually, Donna just wrote me that she did NOT see any white on the wings when the bird stretched or when it dove