Northern Pygmy-Owl

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 16, 2007
      We now have one more species that are adding to the
      nervousness of our feeder birds. A Northern Pygmy-Owl
      has many choices on the menu. Juncos may be a
      favorite but there are chickadees, finches, and
      towhees as well.
      We have at least a dozen Spotted Towhees. They loves
      our garden compose bins. The NOPO brings our yard
      total to 150 species seen/heard here in Nucla in less
      than 5 years. Number 149 was Red Crossbills a few
      weeks ago. If it were not for a farm pond near our
      house we would have at least 20 fewer species. Ducks,
      rails, and snipes can be heard in spring daily.

      There is a comet in the northeast sky that is visible
      to the naked eye in the evening. A 8:00 PM it is
      about at 45 degrees above the horizon and at about 50
      east of north. Very little tail is visible. It looks
      like a fuzzy sphere. We can also see Andromeda Galaxy
      with the naked eye somewhat higher in the sky. We
      don't have much light pollution here. On nights when
      high clouds are present we can see the lights of Grand
      Jct. and Montrose reflecting in our direction.

      Happy here in Nucla,
      Coen and Brenda

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2010
      • 1 Attachment
      • 235 KB
      Greetings,
      Late this afternoon a North Pygmy-Owl came to check out the birds at our feeders.
      Coen and Brenda
      Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2011
        At 11:30 AM a Northern Pygmy Owl was spotted along the San Miguel River two miles east of the Nucla Power Plant. The owl was perched in the top of a cottonwood tree and after a few minutes flew across Old Highway 90 to the P/Js. I entered the data into the atlas database and it was very much appreciated due to lack of owl data in western Colorado.
        Brenda and I were returning from a morning visit to the Pinyon Atlas Block (Big Bucktail SE) when the owl was spotted. We often find early migrants in that area but not today.
        My records are showing a 25 year late date records for hummingbirds species. There must be good flowers to the south of us. I find it very strange that hummers have not arrived.
        Coen and Brenda
        Message 4 of 5 , Apr 19, 2011
          Message 5 of 5 , Nov 20, 2011
          • 1 Attachment
          • 246 KB
          Greetings,
          The attached photo is of a Northern Pygmy-Owl that has been at our feeders.  We may have to shew the owl away so the Northern Shrike, Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawk can come in to their favorite food, House Sparrows.
          I did not see the Eastern Bluebird but did see a Prairie Falcon in the area so the bluebirds were hiding out.  Did find 40 species around Nucla this morning.
          Coen and Brenda