white-winged dove

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2007
      Yesterday, Sunday, I drove the length of McElmo Canyon starting in
      Montezuma Creek, Utah and ending at the E. end in Montezuma County, Co.
      I only saw one dove for the entire length of the road, which I thought
      unusual as I often see flocks of Mourning Doves along this route. It
      was a WWDO on a wire at the W. edge of the hay fields in Co..
      Later I stopped at Totten Resevoir e. of Cortez. I decided that it is
      the capital of cooterville. Every w. Co. lake that I have visited this
      Fall has been flush with coots, but I roughly counted 500 and doubled
      that and I think there were 3 times that number, or 3000?
      Ditto for Ruddy Ducks. I have seen more of them at every lake than I
      remember ever seeing before, but there seem to be more at Totten than
      any other w. co. lake I've visited this year. Everywhere, I have seen
      blue bills in every plumage illustrated by Sibley, with some others as well.
      As I headed n. on Co Hwy 145, near the n. intersection of the Dunton
      Rd., I saw a very large very black bear loping up a steep hillside. Its
      blackness was in sharp contrast to the yellow grass of the hillside. At
      the top of the ravine there was an equally black cub. It was a beautiful
      sight but I worried that they were leaving Hwy 145, that they didn't
      seem to be anywhere near a food source and that they still need to be
      out foraging at this late date.
      andrea robinsong
      hotchkiss