misidentified dead duck (not a Montezuma Cty White-winged Scoter)

  • Dean and Mona Hill
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2007
      Dear Fellow Birders,
      When we looked at Dean's quick photos of the dead duck, we realized
      it is too small to be a scoter, even an immature bird as we at first
      thought. Therefore, we aren't sure just what it was. Most field
      guides don't show a lot of ventral views of dead birds. The tail
      seems much too short to be a Ruddy Duck, the bill doesn't look like
      that of a scaup and the bird seems too small for even a Lesser Scaup.

      We apologize for the misidentification and confusion.
      Dean and Mona Hill
      Lewis, Montezuma County, CO