Montezuma County White-winged Scoter (DEAD)

  • Dean and Mona Hill
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2007
      This morning (Sunday, November 11, 2007) Dean and I stopped at the
      Dolores Holding Ponds, just west of the Dolores sewage treatment
      ponds. Lying on the asphalt path near where we parked was a dead
      White-winged Scoter. As Dean photographed it, we realized it had
      been shot and that
      the hunters, dog, and decoys were just down the path from us. The
      hunters (a man and a boy) came up and claimed the duck. We pointed
      out it was a White-Winged Scoter. The man became very belligerent
      and said it was a "Bluebill"---Ruddy Duck, maybe? There were Ruddy
      Ducks on the holding pond.

      Out of curiosity: does anyone know how tasty a scoter would be? Do
      they taste like dead fish? Are they legal to hunt in Colorado? For
      that matter, how tasty are Ruddy Ducks?

      Thanks,
      Mona Hill
      Lewis, Montezuma County, CO