Red-necked Grebe still at Paynes Siding, Delta County

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2007
      I looked for and found Jason's grebe yesterday and today. Today there
      seemed to be about a thousand more ducks on the water than
      yesterday....Payne's Siding definitely has the most ducks on it of any
      Delta County pond.
      Also, I refound a White-throated Sparrow associating with Song Sparrows
      that I first saw yesterday at the s. end of the lake.
      I'm sure there have been more reports of this species this Fall than
      ever before on the W. Slope. Does this make it an erruptive year?

      Permission has not been granted to go through the gate at the s. end so
      it would be better to scope from the road rather than cross through the
      gate to access the dam.

      I spent a few hours at Sweitzer today. The only bird of interest was a
      merlin close to where I had a peregrine last week. I believe a prairie
      falcon was also reported there recently and there is a kestrel that
      hangs around the dam vicinity. I'd say this would be the place to go see
      falcons in Delta County this Fall.
      I walked the ditch road around the lake and cannot recommend it highly
      enough. It's beautiful, it's birdy and at least the 3 times I have
      walked there, it was devoid of human sounds...enjoy!

      A train wait at the e. end of hwy 92 approaching Hotchkiss became more
      pleasant as I scoped a Prairie Falcon on a nearby pole.

      good birding,
      andrea robinsong