WESO and friends--yard birding treat--GJ owl counters

  • nic korte
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2007

      My home (in the center of GJ) office looks out on several bird feeders and small trees.  I did a double-take on the apricot tree this morning—a western screech owl sitting amidst the yellow leaves.  The WESO has attracted much attention. I’ve seen chickadees, flickers, mo. doves, house finches, yellow-rumped warblers, house sparrows and juncos all fly within a few inches of the owl. I wish I could keep him here for the Xmas count.

      As many of you know, GJ has been near the top in counting WESOs for several years (2nd each of the last two)  and certainly leads the nation in cumulative WESOs counted for a decade or so.  We would like to mainatin this tradition.   I’ll be contacting anyone who has helped in the past.  If there are any potential new helpers out there, let me know. We’ll provide training as necessary and put you out with an experienced person as necessary.  All you need do is set aside ~ 6AM until light (~ 7AM ) on count day.

      Nic Korte