Tundra Swans

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007

      Hi All,

      Saturday, November 3, I had an apparent family group of Tundra Swans (yellow spot seen in front of eye on adults) at Seely Pond in Craig. Seely Pond is found north of the airport/golf course road; about 0.2 miles east of the intersection with Ranney Street. There were two adults and four juveniles. The swans were not refound on Sunday.

      Cheers,

      Forrest Luke

    • a z
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 25, 2010
        We visited the 4 Tunda Swans on Dike Road along the Colorado River prompted by Nic Korte's post.  We were at the site at about 1:30pm on 2/25/10.  Also saw in the same area:

        2 Wood Duck, male and female
        1 Green-winged Teal male
        1 American Widgon male
        2 Lesser Scaup male
        1 Common Merganser Female
          Gadwall (several) male and female
          Mallard (numerous)
          Canada Goose (numerous)

        This is my first post and I hope I have done it correctly.
        Thanks to Larry Arnold for putting Diane and I on the listserve.
        Posting at 4:15pm

        Dave and Diane Trappett
        Grand Junction

      • a z
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
          In response to Leon Stigen's post regarding the swans, I'll have to admit that I did not ID the swans either.  They were too far away, sitting and had their heads tucked in their wings.  I also relied on previous ids and should added that information to my original post.  However, I have not added them to my list for this year yet and I will wait until I get a personal ID.

          Dave Trappett
          Grand Junction

        • nic korte
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
            Hi Dave, Larry Arnold, Andrea Robinsong, Rob Modica and I all got views of the yellow tear drop through good scopes. That's a clincher, but I also have a swan i.d. key that we went through too. There appeared to be two immatures; those were not definitely i.d.ed--but the two adults were tundra swans.
            Nic

            To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2010

              There were four Tundra Swans today at the CMS Pond off First Street in Craig. Visits to other local ponds and reservoirs did not hold much of interest.

              Forrest Luke

            • Forrest Luke
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 10, 2010

                The four Tundra Swans were still present at the CMS Pond in Craig this evening. Otherwise a couple of Killdeer and 10 or  so Hooded Mergansers amongst the common dabblers.

                Forrest Luke

              • Forrest Luke
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 4, 2013

                  This evening there were 23 adult-plumaged Tundra Swans gracing a small pond off Hwy 13 between the south end of Craig and the Yampa River bridge. One swan had a neck band—blue in color with yellow lettering/numbering. Unfortunately, I could not make out the letters or numbers on the neck band. Most of the swans had rust stained heads and necks, but a few did not (birds from different locations?). Also on the pond was a FOS Cinnamon Teal, along with a couple Hooded Mergansers and a suspiciously small Canada-type goose. On the Yampa River nearby, at one of the few spots of open water, were around 25 Barrow’s Goldeneyes. Since they were actively diving, it was impossible to get a precise count.

                  It was a nice surprise for a feather finder suffering through a long, mostly birdless winter.

                  Forrest Luke

                  Craig

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2013

                    Dave Galinat reports (via Andrea Robinsong) ten swans at Fruitgrowers this morning, no ID on these yet but Andrea is heading over for a closer look..

                    Migration rocks!

                    Larry

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 5, 2013
                      8 Tundra Swans at Fruitgrowers now.