RED-NECKED GREBE - Delta County, 11/4/2007

  • Jason Beason
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2007
      Checked the major waterbodies in Delta County today. Highlight - Red-necked Grebe - was at the last one, the Payne-Siding Pond. This pond is marked in DeLorme on page 56 just south of Highway 92 (and where it meets the 25.00 Rd, just southeast of Fruit Growers Res.) and west of Lawhead Gulch. There used to be access issues with the landowner there but I have not had any problems since I started going there in 2004. There were hundreds of Ring-necked Ducks there and this grebe was associating more with those than the other grebes present (western and eared) in the southeast part of the pond. When I first spotted the Red-necked Grebe it had its head tucked but I thought it looked suspicious and after a few minutes it began to actively forage and was diving frequently. I got some really bad digi-scope photos if anyone cares to see them!

      Other observations:

      Fruit Growers - not a reservoir anymore! There is no open water but there is an enormous mudflat. There were hundreds (approx. 400!) of Killdeer and two Baird's Sandpipers (late date?) and one dowitcher. The dowitcher flew away before I really got to really check it out. There were also hundreds of American Green-winged Teal (couldn't find any other teal species). I was scoping from the dam side and didn't make it up to the causeway to see if anything was there.

      Sweitzer - four Western Grebe and lots of coots.

      Confluence - The number of Canada Geese is increasing and there were a few Common Mergansers today. A Prairie Falcon was perched in a Cottonwood near the large grain mills. I walked around on the trails and not many passerines were in the forest. A number of Cedar Waxwings were around.

      Jason Beason
      Paonia - Delta County