Birds at Lake Lenore

  • suehirshman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2007
      The Broad-tail Hummer was last seen on Monday, Oct.22nd after the 1st
      big snow. Has anyone seen a Hummer this late? Also with the snow, a
      Ruddy duck was seen and a Pied-billed Grebe which is still here.
      Yesterday 3 Amer. Dippers were around the lake area. These could be
      ones from Dexter creek area where they nest. Also had an Osprey
      checking the lake out, flying around several times. I had great views!!

      Yesterday, also some of us here at Lake Lenore went up to Jack-Ass
      Flats above Lake Lenore(South end)saw 3 Big-Horn Rams. This is so sad
      as there is talk that this area could be developed with 3 houses. The
      ewes use this area for giving birth to their young and also feeding
      area. We did contact the DOW, so will see what can be done.
      Sue H.
    • Sue Hirshman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2014
        Yesterday at the Lake was an Osprey that stayed all afternoon.  It was nice to observe him!
        I have lots of Hummers here with 5 male Rufous Hummers at one time.  Also females and young.
        Still have lots of Broad-tail and fewer Black-Chinneds.  Haven't seen the Calliope yet, but should see soon.
        More birds coming back to the feeders now.
        The Black Swifts are all incubating their one egg and one egg is due to hatch today or tomorrow.
        Good views of them at Box Canyon.  Also a pr.of Cordilleran Flycatchers have 4 babies right as you
        walk in to the canyon across Canyon Creek. It should be interesting when the young leave their nest on
        where they will land or fly to!
        Sue Hirshman/Ouray