an unkindness of ravens

  • Bill/Cheryl Day
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2007
      Last week, as I was driving up our driveway, I crested the top of the
      hill and stared down at the house; there were about 20 ravens circling
      right around the house. My first thought was "Oh my gosh someone killed
      Bill and the parrots!" But I went in the house to find everyone fine,
      and Bill on the front porch looking at the ravens. Strangely, there was
      one red-tailed hawk mixed in the group, just enjoying the flying.

      Several days later there were over thirty ravens flying in a circular
      pattern up higher several hundred feet from the house. A golden eagle
      came in to fly with them. He wasn't accepted like the red-tail, and a
      few ravens chased him off.

      It seemed odd to see these large groups of ravens.

      We also had rock wren and canyon wren on the front porch this week
      (never together), we rarely see canyon wren in the summer.

      Yesterday it was very dark and stormy here, and I heard sandhill cranes.
      I couldn't see them in the dark clouds. I thought they had to be our
      local cranes, it seemed very late in the year for migrating cranes.
      Also, it seemed like migrating cranes would never travel in that weather.

      Nothing too exciting here in the 'dobes of Hotchkiss.

      Cheryl Day
      Hotchkiss