Pectoral SP & Lesser Black-backed Gull

  • Victor Zerbi
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2007
      This morning I followed up on Ron Lambeth's sightings of Pectoral
      Sandpiper and Semi-palmated Plover at Ela. I saw both about 7:45 AM.
      The Pectoral was my 250th Mesa County List bird. After getting to 245
      mid-summer, I figured it would be a long time before I got to 250.
      The Fall migration however quickly filled in some holes in my list.
      Even so, I still have missing what any self-respecting Mesa birder
      would call easy fall migrants. As the Denver sports teams always seem
      to say: "Wait Til Next Year." Just a minute, the Rockies may be
      putting that saying to rest.

      I then drove to Ridgway SP to look for early Fall ducks and late
      shorebirds. I had given up on the previously seen Lesser Black-backed
      Gull. When I got there no ducks or shorebirds but about 25 gulls - 22
      California, 1 Ring-billed and the Lesser Black-backed. Nice bonus
      bird. It exactly matched the 2nd winter bird on The Large Gulls of
      North America DVD by Jon Dunn and John Vanderpool. I highly recommend
      the DVD.

      Vic Zerbi