WC07 Through 01 Oct 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2007

      Greetings!  We have added a few more species to our collective year-list for Western Colorado since the previous update on 22 Aug =  Broad-winged hawk, Pectoral sandpiper, Stilt sandpiper, Sabine¬ís gull, Common tern, Short-eared owl, Cassin¬ís vireo, Northern parula, and Connecticut warbler.

      If anyone has questions or corrections regarding any of these, please email me.  Thanks for participating.

      Larry

      SPECIES

      NOTES

      1

      greater white-fronted goose

      several reports at first of year

      2

      snow goose

      3

      ROSS'S GOOSE

      birds lingered at two locations (3,1) to Apr 18 and at another location (1) to Apr 22, late dates for this wintering species

      4

      canada goose

      5

      cackling goose

      three reports: west Rifle ponds Jan 1, Fruita SP Feb 21, Zink's Pond Mar 22

      6

      tundra swan

      several reports; 2-5 birds on Perch Pond Mar 17 - Apr 4 is highest count

      7

      wood duck

      8

      gadwall

      9

      EURASIAN WIGEON

      one at Pastorius Reservoir Apr 6-27, one male at Blue Mesa Res Apr 30

      10

      american wigeon

      11

      mallard

      12

      blue-winged teal

      four at Cheney Apr 4

      13

      cinnamon teal

      four at small pond west of Nucla Feb 14

      14

      northern shoveler

      15

      northern pintail

      16

      green-winged teal

      17

      canvasback

      18

      redhead

      19

      ring-necked duck

      20

      greater scaup

      one to two birds at Clifton sewage ponds Mar 28 - Apr 4

      21

      lesser scaup

      22

      long-tailed duck

      one male at Nucla sewer ponds Jan 12-13

      23

      bufflehead

      24

      common goldeneye

      25

      barrow's goldeneye

      one first-year male at Pastorius May 4 is a late date for that elevation?

      26

      hooded merganser

      27

      common merganser

      28

      RED-BREASTED MERGANSER

      four at Navaho Reservoir Feb 10 is an early date

      29

      ruddy duck

      30

      chukar

      31

      ring-necked pheasant

      32

      greater sage-grouse

      33

      gunnison sage-grouse

      34

      white-tailed ptarmigan

      two males just south of Devil's Causeway, Garfielf County Jul 8

      35

      dusky grouse

      booming at Dry Lake Campground near Steamboat prior to Apr 5

      36

      sharp-tailed grouse

      37

      wild turkey