sandhills at fruitgrowers

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2007
      Thanks, Tom, for asking that we use bird names before codes.
      It's easy to be lazy and use common bird codes [I can actually get the
      spelling right when I use them ;-) ] but it is unfair to folks who
      don't know them.
      After a lovely hike up the w. side of Crag Crest on the GMNF today I
      stopped by Fruitgrowers on the way home. My timing was perfect; when I
      got out of the car at 6:45, there were approx. 60 cranes circling over
      the water with their landing gear down. I'm hard pressed to think of any
      sound I like more than crane talk.
      I forgot to mention hummers in my earlier posting. Last night I had 6
      juvie Black-chinned hummingbirds at my feeders but today I have only
      seen four. I recently had a visit from a Broad-tailed hummer and the
      last of the Rufous disappeared last Thursday.
      I also forgot to mention that I saw a pair of Yellow-headed BB just E.
      of Delta on Tuesday. I forgot to check to see if this is way late for them.
      andrea