Ouray County Birds

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2007
      Tuesday and Wednesday Brenda and I birded Ouray
      County. On the Tuesday evening we monitored
      Uncompahgre Gorge for Black Swifts. We found no
      indication that swifts are using the gorge. Sue
      Hirshman joined us and she gave us a tour of Box
      Canyon and pointed out several of the swift nests in
      the canyon.
      Present at Ridgway State Park, where the reservoir has
      some islands and mud flats, was a single Willet and a
      single Greater Yellowlegs. On Wednesday we again
      checked out the reservoir and found about 20
      White-faced Ibis, a few Spotted Sandpipers and one
      Wilson's Phalarope, a new county bird for us. Present
      were four gulls; two California, one Ring-billed, and
      one first summer Herring Gull. What is going on with
      summering Herring Gulls? Look in Colorado Birds,
      1992, from mid-May until early September, there are
      only two Colorado records. There has been at least
      two summer records this year in west-central Colorado
      and one last summer.
      Somebody needs to go to work and update Colorado
      Birds. I bet there would be a good market for a new
      book. The birding world is rapidly changing with new
      info gathered almost daily.
      On our way out of Ouray County we check out some
      hummingbird feeders. On resident had out about 2
      dozen feeders. All four hummingbird species were
      present. We finally got our first Calliope
      Hummingbird for the Ouray County which is number 200
      for the county. A small farm pond near the feeders
      had 8 Wilson's Snipe.
      Tomorrow I will send out the details for the Ouray
      County Count which will be held the 8-9 of September.
      Get your teams together of just come and join to fun
      and see what interesting birds turn up.
      Happy birding,
      Coen and Brenda

      http://sims.yahoo.com/