Craig Shorebirds

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 15, 2007

      Hi All,

      I witnessed the first decent shorebird fallout of the season last evening at the WFMC gravel pit ponds—preceding a lurking thunderstorm. The rarest bird was at the ponds was an immature Black Tern (only my third Moffat County sighting) that remained roosting on a log throughout the hour or so that I was there. Shorebirds included Greater Yellowlegs (2), Lesser Yellowlegs (30), Wilson’s Snipe (2), Solitary Sandpiper (2), Spotted Sandpiper (2), LB Dowitcher (2), Western Sandpiper (3), Least Sandpiper (5), Baird’s Sandpiper (2), Wilson’s Phalarope (15) and of course Killdeer.

      I stopped by Loudy-Simpson Park for a quick walk around the nature trail and not much was happening—a few Wilson’s and MacGillivray’s along with the resident stuff.

      Forrest Luke

    • Forrest Luke
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 25, 2007

        I really intended to not do any more birding today and instead spend time on yard and house work. Then I got to thinking that given there was a good passerine fallout, why not a corresponding shorebird fallout? Anyway, I ended up at WFMC gravel pit ponds south of Craig and sure enough it was a pretty good shorebird assemblage.

        Highlight species were Stilt Sandpiper (4) and Red-necked Phalarope (1). Also present were Wilson’s Snipe (4), Greater (2) and Lesser (15) Yellowlegs, Solitary (4), Spotted (2), Semipalmated (4), Least (4) and Baird’s (10) Sandpipers, Wilson’s Phalarope (2), A. Avocet (2) and Killdeer (bunch). Oh well, that yard work will still be there when migration slows down.

        Good Birding,

        Forrest Luke

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 25, 2007

          Oi there, Forrest, rest assured that the yard/house work won't migrate south anytime soon, but the birds will!  tisk
          Good list you got going there.
          LA

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 25, 2010

            This evening  I ventured to the CMS Pond in Craig in hopes the big storm had grounded something. There were still four Bonaparte’s Gulls, a LB Dowitcher and a late Least Sandpiper had replaced the Pectoral of a few days ago.

            Otherwise, lots of common ducks including several pairs of Hooded Mergansers.

            Cheers,

            Forrest Luke

          • Forrest Luke
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28, 2014

              Checked CMS pond this evening and, after not being seen by at least three of us yesterday, the Snowy Plover was back. Also present were two Semipalmated Plovers, three Red-necked Phalaropes, five avocets and a Snowy Egret.

              Cheers,

              Forrest Luke

              Craig