Loudy-Simpson Surprise

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2007

      Hi All,

      After a toad-strangling cloud burst passed through Craig last evening (August 7) I decided to head over to Loudy-Simpson Park to see what the storm might have blown in (it was too muddy to get to shorebird spots).

      I started at the spot where I had success the evening before (actually it was August 6 and not 7 as I reported—that’s what happens when you mess around with your daily bird calendar looking for bird photos you like better than the one shown for that day), and saw all of the warbler species that I had seen previously. Then I saw this little warbler with distinctive white outer tail feathers fly up from the grass and settle into the lower branches of a cottonwood tree. I was all over this bird but couldn’t immediately find it in the tree. I kept looking and finally it (presumably the same bird) popped into the open. My first impression was of a very brightly-colored Orange-crowned, until I saw the very distinctive white wing bars on more blue-gray wings. The bird was unmarked, bright yellow underneath, although I couldn’t see the undertail coverts very well.

      After considering the combination of plumage characteristics, I could only conclude that this bird was a Blue-winged Warbler. The face pattern wasn’t as distinctive as the singing males I had seen on trips back East, so apparently this bird must have been a female or a fall-plumaged male. The bird was found in the northwest corner of the nature trail.

      Good Birding,

      Forrest Luke

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2007

        Forrest, you rock!!!  is VZ there yet???