Magnificent Hummingbird still in Crystal (Gunnison)

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2007

      At noon today the female Magnificent Hummingbird visited feeders at the “Book Store” in Crystal twice in a five-minute period.  The “Book Store” is the first building on the right one enters Crystal .  I believe Anderson ’s is the house across the street, there are only seven or eight buildings in Crystal and four have hummingbird feeders.  Access to Crystal is next to impossible from the south (Crested Butte), Schofield Pass can only be crossed on mountain bikes, ATV’s, and modified 4x4’s.  From Marble, Crystal is a six-mile drive on the roughest 4x4 road I have been on in a while.  Drive time on the 5 miles from Beaver Lake (Marble) to Crystal today was one hour, the road is not dangerous but it is a real rock garden and has really beautiful scenery as a bonus.

      Tom McConnell