San Miguel Birding

  • Victor Zerbi
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2007
      I spent Wednesday and Thursday birding in San Miguel County. As often
      happens, things conspired against me - closed areas and heavy rainy
      weather. Even so, as usually happens, the birds were still good. The
      most interesting area was the Big Gypsum Valley. I should have spent
      time here in late May or June, but it didn't happen this year. I will
      return next year much earlier.

      My best birds were Black-throated Sparrow, Northern Mockingbird,
      Loggerhead Shrike, Lark Sparrows, Blue Grosbeak, Bushtits, Pinyon
      Jays, and Peregrine Falcons. I am quite certain I also saw a Scott's
      Oriole. Unfortunately, it was raining and the bird was some distance
      away It looked very bright yellow and black. I tried to get closer
      but it flew. When it flew it went into the PJ on the far side of the
      Dolores River - not into the habitat along the river.

      Road 642 in the ponderosa was also excellent: Grace's Warbler, Pygmy
      & White-breasted Nuthatches, Western Bluebird, Common Nighthawk.

      The South Fork/Illuim Road was also fruitful: Brown Creeper, Fox
      Sparrow, Cedar Waxwings, Orange-crowned Warbler, Townsend's Solitaire
      were my best birds.

      Vic Zerbi