LAGO Update thru 02 August

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2007

      Missy and I have just returned from 12 days of southern Peruvian “winter” (low-water season), where our group tallied 386 species of birds (155+ were life birds for me, 11 of which were new hummingbird species), and we saw some great mammals and reptiles as well.  More about this later if anyone desires a trip report.  Cumulative precipitation in our yard during the period, per my weather station, was 0.97” and I am sure this helped prevent our yard from burning up while we were out of the country.  For those of you who have phoned or emailed during our absence, I will reply as soon as possible.  I will also update WC07 shortly (this is our on-going tally of bird species in western CO during 2007): looks like we have added a couple of species during late July…  Magnificent hummingbird and Chihuahuan raven.

      According to the LAGO Log, our male Lawrence ’s goldfinch was last observed at 1100 hrs on 24 July by several birders from Alabama .  Many hopeful birders since that date have not seen the bird, and we have not seen it since arriving home yesterday at 1830 hrs.  We think the bird could ~possibly~ still be here using B. lyrata and other natural sources of seed, is therefore not visible at our thistle feeders, but time will tell, eh?

      Hummingbirds are obviously in crescendo here at OK Corral, most vocal being RUHU with their “zeeeeeeee-chupity-chups” and other scold-notes.  My focus this month is to keep them all happy with plenty of Zuka Juice.

      LA in GJ