Foreign recapture of a Rufous Hummingbird

  • Steve & Debbie Bouricius
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2007
      Western Slope birders,

      Some interesting news: an adult female Rufous Hummingbird which we
      banded in Palisade on August 12, 2006, was re-encountered in the
      Bitterroot Valley of SW Montana near the Idaho border on July 18, 2007.
      The bird was captured and released by humbanders Ned and Gigi
      Batchelder at the home of one of their many hummer hosts where Ned and
      Gigi band birds.

      Ned wrote: "It is a real nice setting with old growth ponderosa, water
      and a nice fenced flower garden / plants area, and a big cherry tree.
      Last year we had 11 visits to this location banding a total of just over
      200 hummers, most CAHU (Calliope), then RUHU (Rufous) and the lesser in
      numbers BCHU Black-chinned). It is possible the bird nested in the area."

      Ned and Gigi band about 2000 Calliopes each year and we hope to someday
      catch one of their birds.

      Here at the farm we've seen a dramatic increase in the number of
      hummingbirds this past week. We've been working at banding both here
      and in the mountains of Boulder County. Between the two locations, we
      are using about 13 lbs. of sugar a day, or 90+ lbs each week.

      Steve Bouricius
      Palisade