Raven Ridge - Rio Blanco

  • Jason Beason
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2005
      This morning I did my annual Raven Ridge hike in Rio Blanco county. I am the "natural area steward" for this Colorado Natural Heritage Program natural area and this is my fourth year to visit. There are several sensitive species of plants at this location, so if anyone does visit this area please watch your step! I was surprised to hear singing Scott's Orioles (2) and this is the first year that I have detected them here. Breeding birds at the site are Gray Vireos, Black-throated Sparrows, Sage Sparrows, Black-throated Gray Warblers, Loggerhead Shrikes, and the typical Juniper birds (there are no Pinyon Pines here).

      Additionally, I just saw 2 Purple Martins flying low and heading up the North Fork of the Gunnison from my yard in Paonia (Delta Co)!

      Jason Beason