Pygmy Nuthatch invasion - Paonia

  • Jason Beason
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2007
      On the evening of July 21st I heard two Pygmy Nuthatches in the large cottonwoods in my front yard. They were also here yesterday evening. Then, today by the river there was another. The odd thing about this is that there are no ponderosa pine stands anywhere near my yard. There are no substantial ponderosa pine stands in Delta County that I know of either, so this is a good bird for you county listers. Do any of you long-time west slope birders remember this species invading lowland riparian zones before?

      Jason Beason
      Paonia - Delta County
    • Rich Levad
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 23, 2007

        One or two wintered in Grand Junction a few years ago--in a patch of Ponderosa Pine in a suburban yard.

        Rich Levad

        On the evening of July 21st I heard two Pygmy Nuthatches in the large cottonwoods in my front yard. They were also here yesterday evening. Then, today by the river there was another. The odd thing about this is that there are no ponderosa pine stands anywhere near my yard. There are no substantial ponderosa pine stands in Delta County that I know of either, so this is a good bird for you county listers. Do any of you long-time west slope birders remember this species invading lowland riparian zones before?

        Jason Beason
        Paonia - Delta County

      • Jacob C Cooper
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2007
          Larry Arnold told me he once had a Pygmy Nuthatch at the Connected Lakes State
          Park's E-Road Entrance - there are Siberian Elms and Cottonwoods there.

          Jacob

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007

            Thanks for this reminder, Jacob.

            Jason, the date was 26 July 2004 for a single PYNU precisely where Jacob mentions.

            LA