Indigo Bunting - Garfield County

  • Steve Bouricius
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2005
      Hi Folks,

      Yesterday, Debbie and I spent the day in Prairie Canyon, northwest of
      Mack, but in western Garfield County, 1-3 miles from the Utah border.
      The cool, cloudy conditions made for a great birding day. We came upon
      a bird which at first glance appeared to be a Blue Grosbeak but was
      singing a song very similar to the Lazuli Bunting. It was a second-year
      male Indigo Bunting, who's song is very similar but slower in cadence
      than the Lazuli. This male was holding a territory and appeared to be
      mated with a female Lazuli Bunting. It is the first Indigo we have seen
      on the Western Slope.

      Other good birds in the canyon included:

      Peregrine Falcon, pair
      Chukar, many
      Gambel's Quail
      White-throated Swift