LAGO's pattern this morning

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2007

      LAGO - our bird is diversifying it's food sources and it's foraging pattern, has been lingering longer than in past.  was here at 0630 for ten min with f-LEGO, at 0730 for 5 min alone, alternatively at the thistle feeders, shadscale, B. lyrata, penstemon spp, thistle, back and forth several times etc.  departures have been to east and southeast over house but may not mean much since he also forages in our plants in front yard.  water use - still have only seen him at our dripper/bath one time since 23 May.

      LEGO - considering Atlas I species account by Rich (BBA, 1998, pp 536-7) vs. Ehrlich et al. species account (1998, pg 636), and the LEGOs we have been seeing in our yard, their behaviors (females/juvies appear to be begging from other females), I am not so sure that I am not seeing a few fledglings from a possible early clutch.  are we certain LEGOs nest only once, late in season, in Colorado?  is nobody else seeing possible fledglings now?  or is double-clutching only possible/probable for the subspecies breeding on west coast?

      PISI - two are here again this morning at water and feeders

      Thanks for any comments!

      Larry

    • Rich Levad
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2007
        Subsequent to  BBA I, and roughly coincident with the onset of its appearance on Christmas counts here, there have been several early breeding reports of LEGO.  Both the wintering and the early clutches are probably the result of a newly available and reliable food source--thistle seed feeders.

        Rich Levad