RE: [wsbn] Mesa Cty Sandhills and Least Flycatcher(?)

  • Rich Levad
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007
      In the past few years SACR have been reported in the breeding season in at least two locations up that way (both by Larry Arnold, I believe):
      1) On the right side of the Collbran-Silt road (330E road) 2.9 miles from the Vega turnoff.  Located between two  residences, one is the Foster residences at 67289 330 E Rd.
      2) East of Collbran, 20 meters north of 330 East Road, approximately one half mile east of Vega Reservoir turnoff, my in old broken down barn/house.

      Rich Levad

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007
        Nic and Rich,

        Here's a photo I took of one there on June 17, 2005, when doing an RMBO
        transect nearby. On June 20, I posted this comment to WSBN:

        "The bird was foraging in a meadow of tall grass next to the road,
        looking for mice maybe? Note the deep mud rust stain on this bird, a
        stark difference from the mostly gray birds seen in migration.

        The Birds of Western Colorado mentions that one or two Sandhill pairs
        nest in the Buzzard Creek drainage east of Collbran, which is where I
        saw this bird. It was about 1/2 mile east of the Vega Reservoir
        turnoff, on Road 330E, near an old broken down barn/house by the road.
        I was able to watch from about 60 feet, the closest I've ever been to a
        crane."

        Steve Bouricius
        Palisade