Least Flycatcher

    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2007

      The LEFL first reported at Connected Lakes S.P. on May 25 is still there, as of five minutes ago...
      it is singing near the bathrooms, easy to hear when vocalizing.

      Larry

    • Jacob C Cooper
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2008
        Hi all,

        While on the way to the CFO Convention, Coen, Brenda, Linda, Andrea and I
        found a LEAST FLYCATCHER at Neversink in Gunnison County. They seem to be
        regular there, but it is a pretty early bird.

        We also birded between Hotchkiss and Cañon City on our way and saw Red-necked
        Phalarope in Montrose, Delta, and Gunnison Counties. Also of note was a
        Flammulated Owl in Hotchkiss on Thursday.

        Vic - Where was the Pacific Loon? We were there the same day but missed it...

        Good Birding,

        Jacob Cooper
      • nic korte
        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2008

          I finished the box checks for the spring in early May and found 14 boxes with owls--presumably nesting--two of the owls were "up" so it is possible they were males. This is about normal. We always have more than 10.

          The boxes were also hosting 11 pairs of kestrels and 5 wood ducks.  (Also 15 with starlings--and one box has bees.)

          Kim Potter came over to band this week and found two of the boxes where I thought I saw owls with a wood duck in one and a kestrel in another.   A couple were also now empty. (We hope already fledged.)  Kim  banded  10 and reported 13 other eggs or chicks too young to band. We also know of at least three locations where fledging has already occurred.  There seemed to be a much greater variation this year in timing of laying and fledging among  our owls.

          Nic Korte

        • aesein.alvera
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 9, 2012
            Visited Collbran this morning (6/9) to look for the reported Least Flycatcher, and heard it about 2 seconds after I stepped out of my car at the previously described spot: 0.7 miles west of the bridge in Collbran along PE Rd.

            Although I heard the bird immediately and easily due to its distinctive call, it took me upwards of ten minutes to actually lay eyes on it.

            Here's a photo:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/58672470@N03/7169838669/in/photostream/lightbox/

            Afterward, I visited a few other locations nearby to look for more birds, but the wind came up pretty heavily and all the birds hunkered down, so I headed home empty handed.

            Here's my short checklist of other birds found at the Least's stop:

            Jackson Trappett