Semipalmated Plovers,Costilla County

  • vsimmons76@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      Yesterday 4/30,I was at Smith Reservoir in late afternoon,
      extremely windy (wind from east), high water with detour required on
      south side. In fields on west side, I saw 2 Semipalmated Plovers,
      flying. Have seen this species flying in the general area before in
      autumn.
      Other species yesterday at Smith Res. were the usual common
      waterfowl (including both Clark's and Western Grebes) bobbing around
      in the white caps, plus 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 Wilson's Phalaropes, 2
      Snowy Egrets, Killdeer, 1 Yellow-rumped Warbler, and a lot of Horned
      Larks.
      Earlier in afternoon I was on the west side of Sanchez Reservoir,
      which is accessed with permission through private property via Wild
      Horse Mesa. (I was working, honest!) With large scope I could see
      quite a lot of the reservoir, but large portions of shore were too
      distant to see any shore birds. Species seen were common waterfowl.
      Virginia Simmons, Del Norte