What is new around Nucla!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2007
      Best birds on 8 April were Ring-billed Gulls and a
      Lincoln Sparrow both at the sewer ponds. Both new
      species for the year in Nucla.
      Yesterday, 9 April, we drove to the Anderson Mesa
      priority breeding bird atlas block. The block is
      bisected by the Dolores River. The west end of the
      block lies in Little Gypsum Valley. Little Gyp looks
      a lot like Rabbit Valley. This canyon country is
      wonderfully remote and beautiful. Unimproved roads
      allow one, with high cleareance, to drive to (not in)
      the Coyoto Wash BLM wilderness area. These canyons
      make up some of the most stunning areas in western CO.
      We did find several Vesper Sparrows first for the year
      for us. In route we saw a kettle of California Gulls
      riding the thermals heading north.
      Today, 10 April, 8 White-faced Ibis were at a small
      farm pond west of town. Present at the sewer pond was
      a Franklin's Gull. Both species are new this spring
      for Nucla area. Present was, a not so smart, Osprey
      fishing the sewer ponds. Maybe they know something I
      don't know.
      Happy birding,
      Coen and Brenda

      Finding fabulous fares is fun.