Burrowing Owls

  • Craig Dodson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2007
      Yesterday, April 7, I went out west of Mack to look for some desert birds and found the pair of burrowing owls reported by Vic Z. at M 2.8 (1.8?) road in the historical site. In addition, about 1000 yards further west on 6&50 I found two more burrowing owls. Both were adults and they were on two seperate prairie dog mounds about 50 feet apart. You could see all 4 birds from one spot (distant) so I am sure I had 4 individuals. The second pair(?) are north of 6&50 in a prairie dog town that is behind an old white rusting tank (propane?) in the field. I have not seen burrowing owls in this spot before. Perhaps we have more individuals this year than usual. I was out there around 4:30 or 5:00 pm.
      6&50 had no shorebirds but I had a single Vesper sparrow there and a pair of black thoarted sparrows on the dirt road between 6&50 and the rabbit Valley exit on I70.
    • mcginley@acsol.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2011
        Helen Traylor, Rebecca Frank, and I found two Burrowing
        Owls on 2.8 Rd. on October 6, but they were gone by October
        9. According to "the book" by Coen et al, the latest
        sighting had been Oct. 4!
        Kathleen
      • Shep & Mary Harris
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 14 3:45 PM
          Does anyone know of a spot to see burrowing owls on the drive from Paonia to Ouray? A mile mark would be great!
          Thanks,
          Mary Harris
        • kendall@sopris.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 16 9:47 PM
            Re: [wsbn] Burrowing Owls Funny ...Robin wants to know where to find burring owls in GJ...
            Thank you, Kendall
            GWS