Huachuca Mts.

  • Rich Levad
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2007

      Karen and I just got home from a week on the road centered around three
      nights at Casa de San Pedro and two and a half days birding the Huachuca
      Mountain canyons and the San Pedro River and Riparian National Conservation
      Area. Highlights included three life birds for me (Elf Owl, Gray Hawk,
      Lucifer Hummingbird), leisurely looks at eight species of hummingbirds, a
      couple of close-up looks at Zone-tailed Hawks, lots of Greater Roadrunners
      and Vermilion Flycatchers, a visit to a fascinating Burrowing Owl relocation
      project (see http://mirror-pole.com/wild_at_heart/bur_owl/site_mnu.html),
      and a stop at Bosque del Apache (Neotropical Cormorants) on the way down (We
      went via Colorado Springs after a family gathering there.

      For any one headed that way in the near future: Ash Canyon B&B (birders
      welcome) had more birds than Ramsey Canon Nature Center. On our way out
      yesterday, I spotted a Zone-tailed Hawk carrying a stick to what I believe
      was the beginnings of a nest. It is about 100 yards east of Moson Road and
      1/4 mile north of Hereford Road.

      Rich Levad

      PS. We also stopped briefly at Portal and Cave Creek Canyon on the way
      down, bringing back memories of a 2003 visit--especially of Whiskered
      Screech-Owls.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2007

        I'll 2nd Rich's praise for Mary Jo's B&B in Ash Canyon!  She has a great set-up for birds, especially hummers, and usually gets the best of them!  Whereas Ramsey has been oddly un-birdie for several years, has had hardly any hummers there except when we first visited ten years ago.

        Moi LA