First hummer of the year!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2007
      Greetings,
      This afternoon, 5 April, a male Broad-tailed
      Hummingbird spent some time around our yard. We
      quickly but up feeders but the hummer only wanted our
      flowers. Our BTLH early date is 12 April but there
      are several dates that are earlier. The earliest is 2
      April in Grand Jct. We have been listening for BTLHs
      for the last several days because the paintbrush is
      really blooming around Nucla. BCHUs are soon to
      follow.
      Our Lesser Goldfinches have just come back. We did
      not have any winter so these are migrants. Twenty
      years ago Lesser Goldfinches were complete migrants
      but not anymore. Niger thistle has contributed to
      that change.
      Yesterday, while driving out of Grand Jct we took a
      quick look for the male Greater Scaup at the Clifton
      Sewer Ponds. It was present and now is hanging out
      with a female GRSC. There are LESC present and a few
      common ducks.
      North of Gateway we checked the heron nests along the
      Dolores River. The are eight active nests.
      Can't believe what great weather we are having. There
      will be a pay back.
      Happy birding,
      Coen and Brenda

      Need Mail bonding?