Gunnison birds

  • Kathryn Schupp
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2007
      We decided to bird for awhile after work today, and
      didn't do too badly for a 45 minute drive:

      Eurasian Collared Dove
      Northern Flicker
      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Crow
      Black-billed Magpie
      Mallards
      Startlings
      American Robins
      Killdeer - the first one we've seen this spring
      Cinnamon Teal
      Gadwalls
      Canada Goose (in a nest which was home to a Red-tailed
      Hawk last year
      Sandhill cranes (2)
      Turkey Vultures - our first for the spring
      and last but not least
      White-breasted Nuthatch

      A great way to send our day!

      Kathy Schupp
      Gunnison

    • Kathryn Schupp
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2007
        Saturday was a banner day for us. We got up EARLY to
        look for Gunnison Sage Grouse and lucked into about
        23!

        Coming home, we found:

        Common Grackle
        Mtn Bluebird
        W Meadowlark
        Canada Geese
        Cinnamon Teal
        Red Winged Blackbird
        Blue Winged Teal (first of the season for us)
        Spotted Sandpiper
        Mallard
        Am Wigeon
        Am Robi
        Gadwalls
        Mallards
        Am Coots
        Ring Necked Ducks
        Swainson's Hawks
        Red tailed hawks
        Barn swallows
        Cliff swallows (first of the season)
        Horned larks
        House sparrows
        Am Crow
        EC Dove
        N Flicker
        Am Kestrel
        TV
        Red naped sapsucker (another first)
        Mourning dove
        House finch
        Yellow headed blackbird (another first)
        Chipping Sparrow (first of season)
        Savannah Sparrow (another first)
        Violet green swallow
        Franklin's gulls (first of season)
        Am Avocet (another first)
        Willet
        Great blue heron
        Killdeer
        Redknots

        Not bad for a few hours of driving around!

        And today driving around, we found an American dipper.

        Kathy Schupp
        Gunnison

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Kathryn Schupp
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2007
          We drove around at noon today and had a blast seeing
          the birds. The weather is finally nice - beautiful
          day. Our excitement today was a Lewis' Woodpecker and
          a Western Kingbird, both at the cemetery and FOS for
          us, and then a pair of Wilson's Phalaropes and a Snowy
          Egret, both at the city's water treatment plant, and
          again both FOS.

          It was definitely a great day!

          Kathy Schupp
          Gunnison