red nape sans nape?

  • David Sinton
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 8:51 PM
      Hello all,

      While checking on one of my Atlas II blocks I saw a yellow-bellied
      sapsucker without a yellow belly. Actually I believe I saw a male
      red-naped sapsucker without the red nape. I saw this bird (and heard
      many other woodpeckers) along the 90 road just west of Montrose near
      mile post 4. So are red-naped sapsuckers without the red nape common?
      The few other red-napes I've seen always had the red nape.

      ds