3/31 Owl Prowl

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2007

      First thanks to Jason Beason for leading and to GVAS for hosting the annual Owl Prowl.  We saw a remarkable 6 species of owls most in small pieces.  Near Mack we saw the eye of a Barn Owl and on CR 2.8 the back of a Burrowing Owl.  A Wstn Screech-Owl showed it face on CR 8 and on Baxter Pass we saw one long ear of a Long-eared Owl.  The group agreed that the combination of these views would make a very unusual looking owl.  After dark we traveled up Hwy 65 onto the Grand Mesa.  We had no luck calling Pygmy-Owls or Saw-Whets but on top of the Mesa we were rewarded!  While playing a Boreal Owl tape an Owl responded from a nearby tree.  The Boreal Owl stayed with us for over ten minutes and provided looks as close as thirty feet!  This was a once in a lifetime experience!!!!

      Kay and I are tired and smiling in Glenwood.

      Tom McConnell