baby the crane update - she is a he, two more news articles

  • Bill/Cheryl Day
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2007
      If you are not tired of the subject, here are two more news articles on
      baby the crane. The first is a url to the Delta County Independent
      article which is mostly about baby being at our house. The second
      article is about baby being at the wildlife rehab center in Silt. (I put
      the url in parenthesis). And finding out that baby is a he.

      I don't know what happened to the chicken that was supposed to go in
      with baby, maybe she was too rough with it, with that large beak of his.
      I hate to think of baby by himself, with just a radio for companionship;
      he really craves being with people.

      http://www.deltacountyindependent.com/Issues/2007/03-28/nf/baby.html

      (http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_5534654)

      Cheryl Day
      Hotchkiss

      denver & the west
      Baby's secret: He's a boy

      By Nancy Lofholm
      Denver Post Staff Writer
      Article Last Updated: 03/28/2007 01:22:29 AM MDT

      Baby, a sandhill crane rescued as a chick, prefers humans to its own
      kind. (Post file)

      Baby, the species-confused Sandhill crane who identifies with humans
      rather than birds, is really a male.

      Baby was thought to be a female by the Nucla ranch hand who had raised
      the bird from a chick. But a veterinarian who examined Baby last week
      after the bird's misadventures in the wild determined she is a he.

      Baby has been exhibiting male mating rituals - spreading his wings,
      chortling and puffing out his chest - at the human now caring for him.

      Baby is currently at a wildlife rehabilitation center in Silt, waiting
      for a federal permit that will declare him an "educational" bird and
      open the door for the crane to be placed at a zoo. The Cheyenne Mountain
      Zoo in Colorado Springs has expressed interest in taking Baby.

      Baby has been making headlines since he was left at a Delta County
      reservoir two weeks ago in hopes he would return to his own kind. But
      Baby made a beeline for humans and shunned migrating wild cranes.

      Silt wildlife rehabilitation expert Nanci Limbach said Baby has seemed
      lonesome in his new temporary home, but has perked up since Limbach put
      a radio in his pen.

      "This bird is going to be happy to be in a zoo," Limbach said. "People
      are going to be around it all day."

      Staff writer Nancy Lofholm can be reached at 970-256-1957 or
      nlofholm@....