Connected Lakes

  • Jacob C Cooper
    Message 1 of 13 , May 13 2:41 PM
      Hey everybody! Today at connected lakes there were 2 Western Tanagers, either
      a Cassin's or Plumbeous Vireo, lots of Black-headed Grosbeaks, and a bushtit
      nest.

      Jacob
    • Jacob C Cooper
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 19, 2005
        My friend Tim and I had a Pine Siskin and 2 Great horned Owls at the Connected
        lakes area.

        Jacob
      • levad
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
          Greetings,

          Karen and I took a tour around the Connected Lakes Trail this afternoon.  It was warm and there was very little bird activity.  I did hear a few Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and a couple of Bewick's Wrens but little else of interest.  However, there was an abundance of  odonates, including Green Darner, Blue-eyed Darner, Flame Skimmer, Window Skimmer, Eight-Spotted Skimmer, Blue Dasher, Black Saddlebags, and Western Meadowhawk.  I am sure some of the other Meadowhawks are round also, but I missed them.

          Good birding!

          Rich Levad
        • Jacob C Cooper
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 16, 2007
            Hi all,

            I went down to check out the migrants at Connected Lakes today and found the
            folowing:

            At Connected Lakes:

            Osprey
            Wood Ducks Everywhere

            Ela:

            Snowy Egret
            6 Greater Yellowlegs
            4 Lesser Yellowlegs
            7+ Vultures eating Carp

            GVAS Property Shed:

            Wilson's Warbler
            2+ Brown Creeper
            White-breasted Nuthatch

            Bill's Pond:

            Wilson's Warbler
            Yellow Warbler
            Probable Townsend's Warbler (heard)
            Green Heron
            Great Egret
            Hooded Merganser - BOWC lists as scarce for september - I tried to get better
            looks but scared up the Green Heron instead.

            Good Birding,

            Jacob Cooper
          • Jacob C Cooper
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
              Hi all,

              This afternoon I took a look around Ela and Bill Noble's Pond. My best birds
              were:

              At Ela:

              4 Brown Creepers

              At Bill's Pond:

              1 Orange-crowned Warbler
              3 White-breasted Nuthatch
              1 Hooded Merganser
              Lots of Wigeon, Ring-necked Duck, and Mallard
              1 Pied-billed Grebe

              As I was headed back, I spotted a sapsucker near the nuthatches. I watched it
              until it flew and believe it was a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. It had a bright
              red throat completely surrounded by a fairly thick black line, clean white
              lines in the face, no red on the nape, and a prominent yellow wash on the
              belly. I was able to observe it on an exposed perchfor about one or two
              minutes. It was near the large tumbleweed patch on the south end of the pond
              in a cottonwood tree.

              Good Birding,

              Jacob Cooper
            • Jacob C Cooper
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
                Hi all,

                At about 10:00 today, there were two Western Grebes at the Gravel Ponds near
                Connected Lakes and the Semipalmated Plover was still at Ela.

                Jacob
              • Jacob C Cooper
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 21, 2007
                  Hi all,

                  I checked out connected lakes this afternoon and had the usual assortment of
                  early winter birds (Chickadees, bushtits, etc.). There was still a single male
                  Hooded Merganser on Bill's Pond with the Ring-necked Ducks and American
                  Wigeons. I also had a possible Cackling Goose fly over the main lake. Near the
                  park entrance at 6:30, a pair of Great Horned Owls started duetting above the
                  trail. Is this courtship behavior at this time of year or territorial?

                  Also, in downtown Grand Junction last week, there was a leucustic(?) House
                  Sparrow. It appeared as though only its primaries and some of secondaries were
                  white.

                  Jacob Cooper
                • Jacob C Cooper
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 30, 2007
                    Hi all,

                    This afternoon I was able to take a quick look around Connected Lakes. All the
                    usual winter birds were there, plus a late Wilson's Warbler and 19 Hooded
                    Mergansers.

                    Jacob
                  • Jacob C Cooper
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 29, 2007
                      Yesterday I checked the Colorado river along Connected Lakes for any unusual
                      ducks and geese as all the main lakes have almost completely frozen over in
                      the park. I was able to find Canada Gesse, Green-winged Teal, Gadwall,
                      American Wigeon, Mallard, and a feral goose. However, just upstream from
                      connected lakes near the united pond, I came across a juvenile Harlan's Hawk -
                      it was feeding on a dead deer carcass on the dike in some bushes, and remained
                      there until I was within five feet of it and it decided to reveal itself.
                      There was a Red-tailed Hawk in the vicinity as well.

                      Good Birding,

                      Jacob
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009

                        A quick (hyperventilating) bike ride thru subject area this morning yielded hooded merganser 2, western grebe 2, greater yellowlegs 1, and bald eagle 1.

                        In our Redlands yard over the last few days we have had a good showing of 28 species, but nothing unexpected for this time of year.  Our LOD for hummingbirds was 15 October, when we had two black-chins.

                        RFI – yesterday I posted a link to a Science News article about bird migration, which summarized a paper published October 29 in Nature:

                        http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/48895/description/Birds_eyes%2C_not_beaks%2C_sense_magnetic_fields

                        I neglected to add that I welcome anyone to share with me papers on bird migration, e.g., links regarding current research on this subject, since it is one of my favorite topics for study.  IOW, please take note: if you see anything interesting about bird migration, please copy Larry Arnold.  =)

                        Sincere thanks!

                        Larry

                      • bill harris
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009
                          Just saw a borrowing owl at the corner of S. Park and
                          11th St. in Montrose.  It flew off a fence post and pounced
                          on something on the ground.  It didn't spook when I drove past it,
                          if fact I did a quick u-turn to confirm my ID, and it still didn't
                          spook.  Pretty firm on the ID since I've seen several out in the
                          Adobes over the years, but this one was in the heart of town!!
                          Are these owls summer residents?

                          Bill Harris

                        • Tenz
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 6, 2014
                            After a session of WESO scouting/training early this AM with Nic Korte & Barb Fulton, I decided to bird Connected Lakes. Most special bird was a single White-throated Sparrow feeding with a flock of White-crowns on the Causeway between the North Lake & Endangered Fish Pond. Otherwise, it was the usual suspects:

                            32 Canada Geese on the River
                            8 Wood Ducks 5 Wigeon
                            25 Mallard 1 Ring-necked duck - female
                            2 Lesser Scaup - female 1 Common Goldeneye - male
                            8 Common Mergansers - male - on the River 6 Gambel’s Quail
                            7 Pied-billed Grebe 1 Western Grebe
                            1 Great Blue Heron 1 Bald Eagle
                            1 Red-tail 110+ Coots (Cootapalooza!!!)
                            1 Kingfisher 2 Flicker
                            3 Kestrel 1 Magpie
                            11 Bushtit 2 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
                            12 Starling 2 Song Sparrow
                            1 White-Throated Sparrow 25 White-crowned Sparrow
                            18 Junco 3 House Finch

                            Carol Ortenzio
                            Grand Junction
                          • Dave Trappett
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 22, 2016
                              Diane and I went out to the lakes this morning, 8 to 9 an. I was running, but Diane was birding and spotted her FOS, (3) Orange-crowned Warblers and a Green-tailed Towhee. Entire list is on ebird.

                              Dave Trappett
                              Grand Junction

                              Sent from my iPhone